Re: [Savannah-users] Need mailinglist provider

From: Kaz Kylheku
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:41:56 -0700

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:00:51 +0200, Manuel Reimer
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my project is hosted at tuxfamily.org and I'm very happy with their service.
>
> The only small problem is, that their mailing list software doesn't
> work that well with gmane. For example, they don't allow to disable
> mail submission, so even if I use gmane, I would have to accept mail
> delivery...

You want a mailing list, but you don't want to accept mail delivery?

*headscratch*

If someone posts to gmane via NNTP, doesn't that send an e-mail
back to the mailing list?

Maybe gmane adds some headers that you can filter on, so that a
rule can be implemented in the mail server: "if a mail arrives
for such and such mailing list, but does not have the gmane headers,
then reject it".

So the mailing list is then just a gadget for archiving the gmane
newsgroup, and distributing the traffic to e-mail based subscribers
(who are not able to reply via e-mail).

Anyway, why are you worried about this anyway? Gmane is supposedly
bidirectional. People can choose whether to post to the mailing
list, or connect to Gmane.  If someone posts to the mailing list,
it shows up in Gmane. So who cares.

> So I'm basically searching for a good mailinglist provider. The
> project itself would still be hosted by tuxfamily. Is this allowed to
> register a project just to get one or more mailing lists for it?
>
> Best case would be if I could allow my users to post from gmane
> without even subscribe to the list. Is this possible? If yes, do I
> have to allow anyone to post without subscribing, then? Do you run a
> good spam filter for this case?

That is the best way to run a mailing list. People should not be forced
through the hoops of subscribing if they just have a question and do
not want to become an antenna for the list traffic.

When we make systems inconvenient and annoying for legitimate
users, we are no longer fighting spam. Rather, we have capitulated to
the spammers.

Anyway, if you want a mailing list run exactly how you want, you
can register your own domain, put up a server and do whatever you
want.

Just this week I set up GNU Mailman on my kylheku.com server,
and created a mailing list: http://www.kylheku.com/mp1.

I could host yours, but you probably don't want to have any dependency
on some random guy such as myself who could disappear of the net
at any minute, along with the list server and archives. :)