Re: [Savannah-users] password must contain multiple character classes...

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] password must contain multiple character classes...
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 22:19:51 -0700

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:46:32 +0900, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:
>> How is your password "much" better?  Using non-alphanumeric
>> characters?  I thought they were allowed even though the message
>> doesn't mention them.
>
> I think there's a pretty general consensus by now that this sort of
> requirement ("must contain a digit and a punctuation symbol" or
> whatever) does more harm than good.  Most certainly it's annoying...

It's completely retarded. It only induces people to choose weak
passwords.
Must contain a capital? Okay, capitalize the dictionary word.
Must contain a digit? Okay, stick a one on it, or replace an o with 0.

There should be a choice: numbers and glyphs, or make it longer.
I'd rather type a password phrase with multiple words and spaces.