Re: [Savannah-users] Question about Email Lists

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Question about Email Lists
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:19:36 -0700

Stephen H. Dawson wrote:
> I receive email that remotecontrol has a new posting, needing my review.
> I go to review the posting, and it is gone. I assume it is due to spam,
> as the email I receive about a notification are also are flagged by my
> email client as spam.

Karl and Paul have already addressed most of this.

> It seems like a waste of time to email, then one second later identify
> the list posting as spam. It seems more valuable to receive the list
> posting, determine if it is spam, and only then email when it is
> determined to not be spam.

The root cause of the problem is that Mailman 2 itself does not have
sufficient anti-spam hooks built into it.  And therefore we have
bolted on an anti-spam system as best we could while using it.  Also
note that the Savannah Hackers have no control over Mailman itself.
Mailman itself as installed is only accessible by the FSF admins.  We
live with what it is because that is all that we can do.

I expect that at some point the lists will migrate to Mailman 3.
Mailman 3 is a complete rewrite and supposedly will have improved
functionality in this area.  But I am not sure I am looking forward to
3 because it is a complete rewrite and so will need a complete new
ecology built around it too.

> What will it take to improve the emailing to list holders, to not be
> bothered with notification of postings that are identified as spam?

I also recommend to do as Karl suggested and ignore those messages.
They are not useful and yet they can't be stopped from being sent.  So
it is best to discard them.

Bob