Re: [Savannah-users] ssh key problem, perhaps

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] ssh key problem, perhaps
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:28:47 -0600

J. David Boyd wrote:
> I have an ssh key registered, copied directly from my id_rsa.pub
> file.  (I use this key combo other places to successfully log in).
>
> When I attempt to clone a repository (bbdb specifically), using
>
> git clone address@hidden:/srv/git/bbdb.git
>
> I get this:
>
>   Cloning into 'bbdb'...
>   Permission denied (publickey).
>   fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

The problem is that you are not a member of any project.  That can be
seen on your savannah profile page.

  https://savannah.gnu.org/users/jdavidboyd

As far as I can tell as soon as you are added to any project then an
ssh account will be created for you.  (I might be wrong about that but
in any case there is no account jdavidboyd in the account database.)
Without an account it is not possible to use ssh for git access.

The instructions on the https://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=bbdb
page show the ssh protocol only a a "Member clone".  It would probably
be better if it didn't show that at all if one is not a member.
Because I think it likely that is where this confusion started.

You do not need to be a project member in order to clone projects.
(Or for any of the other version control systems either.)

  git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git

Bob