Re: [Savannah-users] minos-one bootable live system

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] minos-one bootable live system
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 17:42:15 -0600

Joël Krähemann wrote:
> Are you interested in hosting a live system I have just created based
> on linuxfromscratch.org?

You are addressing the Savannah Users mailing list.  We here are
focused on the use of Savannah.  The free software forge used by the
GNU Project.  It is just us simple users here who talk about what is
happening on Savannah and if there are things going on and help for it
and so forth.  But it looks like this is a question for the FSF and
GNU maintainers.

> I would use the ordinary registration form but I was stuck with this section:
> Checklist - **see How To Get Your Project Approved Quickly**

Let me switch hats from user to admin.  Generally Savannah is meant
for individual upstream projects as a software forge and not complete
software distributions.  Specifically we don't have the disk space to
host full distributions on Savannah.  (At the moment we are a little
short on disk space even for the projects that we currently host
there.)  That is why the registration form for the project is focused
on specific projects.  It is really meant to be the upstream for
individual source projects.

> minos-one-v2.0-h3lix.iso is about 21G and fits on a BlueRay disc.

In order to host a full operating system software distribution it
would need a significant resource commitment from the FSF.  It isn't a
good fit for Savannah.  It would probably require several server hosts
in order to be able to service the needs.

I don't want to discourage you from approaching the FSF about a new
Free Software distribution.  I think that is great.  But things like
that are too big for Savannah.  If you look at the other free software
distributions such as Trisquel and gNewSense you will see that they
are not hosted on Savannah either and each have their own dedicated
resources.

Good luck and Happy Hacking!

Bob