Re: [Savannah-users] what are the usefulness criteria for submitted code

From: john smith
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] what are the usefulness criteria for submitted code?
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 18:56:13 -0800

> Ineiev is an "actual administrator".

I am sorry, it was never my intention to state or imply otherwise. What I
wanted was a reply from any *other* administrator, which is what I
originally asked Ineiev to expedite. Looking at your profile I can see you
are that other admin.

> The policy has always been that Savannah
> administrators can exercise judgement,
> and not be required to blindly accept every
> project submission that meets the technical
> requirements.

Thanks for clarifying that. Please note Ineiev did not seem to be aware of
this policy, although he might have refused to confirm it for some other
reason.

> I see that we have failed to state that on <url>;
> we can work on that.

Thanks, that would be great. Not only it would inform potential users, it
would have also prevented the previous portion of this discussion from
happening. If I was aware of that from the beginning, I would not have
tried to submit any projects to Savannah, opting instead for discussing
this policy with you straight away.

> Savannah being a GNU project, you can appeal to
> address@hidden, or ultimately rms, if you wish.

I hope you don't mean by that I shouldn't bother appealing to the Savannah
project itself first. It makes no sense to me to go over your head when I
can at least try to make a direct appeal to the very people who set the
policy.

I would like a chance to convince the Savannah project to replace this
policy by a set of objective rejection criteria, which would hopefully
accomplish the same purpose. By the way, what is the purpose of this
policy? I've seen a suggestion that this policy is needed because accepting
everything would be basically too costly for a non-commercial
volunteer-powered project like Savannah. Is this an accurate enough
description of the goal? Are there any other goals you would like to
achieve with this policy? I asked this question before, but so far no
answer was given by a member of the Savannah team. I do not for a second
believe you people are going through so much trouble without a reason, so
what is the purpose of this policy?

I hope you agree, this policy is fundamentally unfair and biased, more or
less by definition. If you could replace it by a set of objective rejection
criteria which would accomplish the same purpose well enough, would you be
willing to work towards that goal?

*Please*, even if you chose to ignore the rest of this message, please
answer these 2 questions: what is the goal of this policy? would you be
willing to replace it with an objective policy, if it could accomplish the
same goal about as well?

My only intention here is to help improve the hosting service. I submitted
my project to Savannah, choosing it before any other hosting service,
specifically because there are few things I hate more than nonfree
software, and I am very thankful for your integrity on that issue, and your
collective effort. All I want is a better, more fair, more friendly, and
more inclusive free software hosting service.

I also would like to take this opportunity to volunteer my time and my
expertise for designing and implementing a set of objective criteria that
would functionally replace the subjective judgement, unless, of course, the
very purpose of this policy is to exercise creative control over submitted
projects.

Finally, I would like to apologize to Ineiev just in case anything in my
posts was perceived as adversarial. I wish I could take back that paragraph
with the word "extortion" in it, just because it was kind of mean, and did
not add anything to the discussion. I hope Ineiev can forgive me by putting
himself in my shoes for just 10 seconds: the first thing I heard from a
hosting service administrator was, basically, that my code is useless. I do
not believe any offense was meant, but I hope Ineiev can see that any
person who is not aware of this rejection policy can easily misinterpret
that statement as a personal insult.