[Savannah-users] Discussion of version control systems (was: Messed up C

From: Asher Gordon
Subject: [Savannah-users] Discussion of version control systems (was: Messed up CVS repository)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 10:48:08 -0400

Hi Marcus,

Marcus Müller <address@hidden> writes:

> I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, but especially of
> you're new to CVS, it might be a good idea to learn one of the newer
> versioning tools instead. With git being the dominant species there,
> and it having "adapters" for things like CVS and svn, that's what I
> would recommend.

Thanks. I'll consider switching. I especially like that (if I understand
correctly) distributed version control systems like git allow you to
make commits even when you are not connected to the internet.

From the man pages git-mv(1) and git-rm(1), it looks like it is possible
to move files and directories and remove files. But it wasn't clear
whether or not you could remove directories. Do you know if this is
possible? It would be a nice feature to have in case I ever make this
mistake again. :-)

Best,
Asher

--
Reader, suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of
Congress.  But I repeat myself.