Best way of converting CVS repo to git ?

From: Øystein Schønning-Johansen
Subject: Best way of converting CVS repo to git ?
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 11:40:45 +0100

Hi, savannah-users!

I'm one of the maintainers/developers of the GNU project GNU Backgammon
(gnubg) and we are actually still using CVS as our main repo. We would like
to convert our main code base to git, as we strongly believe this has
become the new standard for developing open source projects. Hopefully,
converting from CVS to git will attract new contributors to the project.

The question is: How is it best to do this?

I have already added the git feature on the project admin page, but the git
repo is (of course) still empty.

Best regards,
Øystein Schønning-Johansen
Maintainer/Developer of GNU Backgammon