cgit syntax highlight request

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: cgit syntax highlight request
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 13:13:02 -0600

Thanks to everyone who added comments to this topic.  It's been a week
for people to think about things and make comments.  (And a week for
me to be completely consumed by my own tasks.)

The unscientific survey does lean toward adding color syntax
highlighting.  Therefore I have enabled it on the cgit interface for
at least an experimental basis.  It is active now.  This uses the
"highlight" utility.  This identifies file types by file suffix.

    http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/cat.c

Let me say that I would prefer not to colorize just like the people
who commented they preferred no color.  Adding this is definitely not
the most natural thing for me to be doing.  But I think highlight does
a pretty good job of enhancing the syntax without being overpowering.
And very importantly in both dark and light themes.

For all of us in the no-color camp I can point out that gitweb is
still no-color and still available for us to use.  Also my take of the
people who voted this way is that we might all be people more
comfortable working in our own sandbox where we have our own
environments set up.  The web interface perhaps being the shared
commons for people not using their own sandbox.

    http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=coreutils.git;a=blob;f=src/cat.c

In any case let's take the highlighting out for a shake down cruise
and see how it works for all of us.  If you love it then please make a
comment to that effect.  If you hate it then also make a comment to
that effect.

This might be a good opportunity for someone to get involved with cgit
and develop a nice way to allow users to choose color highlighting or
not.  I know I would use that control knob.

Bob