screen-devel

[screen-devel] patch for window-title shell heuristic

From: Erik Osheim
Subject: [screen-devel] patch for window-title shell heuristic
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:51:04 -0500

Hey there,

I made a patch a couple of months ago that changes the behavior of
dynamic window titles, i.e. "search|name" + <esc>k<esc>\. The current
screen behavior is to take just the command name, so that "vi
/foo/bar" becomes a title of "vi".

My patch changes this behavior to name the window the full string
entered, i.e. "vi /foo/bar". I've been using it for the past couple of
months and it seems very stable. The behavior can be toggled via
"#define FULL_AKA". My co-workers and I find that it's much nicer to
see what the full command is (if you have 4 different windows with vi
open, it's nice to see which file each is editing).

I have attached a patch which just modifies ansi.c and ansi.h to make
this happen. Maybe the behavior should be enabled via the config file,
but I wanted to keep the patch simple. Please let me know if there are
problems or if something needs to be changed.

Thanks,

-- Erik

P.S. Also, please CC me on any discussion involving this patch, since I
am not subscribed to screen-devel.