screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] SSH agent proxy in screen

From: Phil Vandry
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] SSH agent proxy in screen
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:17:08 -0600

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 10:37:10PM -0700, Hari Bhaskaran wrote:
> There is a much simpler solution
> http://www.2701.org/archive/200406150000.html
>
> The key is that SSH_AGENT need not point to a socket, it can point to a
> symbolic
> link to a socket.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. That's a good solution but I think it's
still a better solution to have screen proxy this. The symlink solution
relies on modifying your shell profile so that some extra scripts are
run at login time and it doesn't support several independent sessions
for the same user. (Both those problems can actually be fixed by
making it a wrapper for screen though.) I think your SSH agent should
be seamlessly attached and detached as your terminal is attached and
detached. The proxy also supports one additional thing that the symlink
solution does not: multiple attached to the same screen session.

-Phil