screen-devel

[screen-devel] feature request: screen session recovery after reboot

From: Vaida Bogdan
Subject: [screen-devel] feature request: screen session recovery after reboot
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 00:07:32 +0300

I've been a happy screen user for over 4 years and I use it daily on
my desktop computer or while developing on a remote server. I found I
needed only one feature more:

--- the ability to resume sessions after a reboot ---

What I mean by this is a way for screen to retain the last place it
visited in each window, which file it edited and the commands history.
I think this is the ultimate feature screen needs.

Some usage examples (from my workplace):
- I have screen on a development server with 6 windows
W1: build window (creates an iso from some package sources)
W2: package1: vim program.c / other programs
W3: package1: vim Makefile; make program
W4: chroot: ./program
W5: tcpdump check program traffic
W6: burn iso to cd

I created my screenrc to bring me to these folders whenever I run
screen but after a crash/reboot I loose all my commands, I must figure
out which file I edited last and I have to think about where I was and
what I was doing. A simple option that can save all this information
would turn screen into every developer's dream.

Thanks for listening and I hope this feature will be implemented.

PS: Please CC me the answer as I'm not on your list.