screen-devel

[screen-devel] Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not exported to subshells

From: Peder Stray
Subject: [screen-devel] Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not exported to subshells
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:28:14 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Zvi Har'El wrote:

Hi

Thanks, but no thanks. I am not interested in tricks to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. This is not what the screen mailing list about.

I am concerned about the fact that screen removes LD_LIBRARY_PATH from the environment, and I believe this behavior is a bug.

Grepping through the source I find no reference to LD_LIBRARY_PATH at all, and as screen is not just letting some variables through, it should have been named explicitly for screen to remove it. I guess it is some other part of your system that removes that variable.

Using LD_LIBRARY_PATH outside a wrapper for a program that really needs it to work is in my opinion close to shooting yourself in the foot... Having it around in you environment for all programs to see is asking for trouble... at least thats what my experience tells me.

--
  Peder Stray