screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] screen maintainer?

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] screen maintainer?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:02:47 -0700

Hm, just to be clear, I was speaking of myself when I spoke of a
"vice-maintainer"; you'll still need to find someone to be the "real"
maintainer, I think, unless that would be help enough to allow you to
remain in that role; there will at least need to be someone else to take
on most of the actual development stuff.

I imagine placing me in that role, which wouldn't really an official GNU
role, unless you wanted to go with co-maintainer, just involves handing
some responsibilities to me, and perhaps giving me manager or admin
access on Savannah (if you're using that or some other bug tracke), and
commit access* to the repository; and pointing me at whatever queue of
patches and TODO items you might have that aren't officially tracked
anywhere.

* If you're planning on migrating to a more modern VCS, then rather than
giving me commit access to CVS, it might be simpler to have me work in
my own private repository, until you can be sure of the work I'm doing
;) ...then again, VCSses are VCSses, and so crap can always be backed
out. :)

- -Micah

Juergen Weigert wrote:
> Okey dokey,
>
> Thank you Micah for volunteering!
> I am ready to step down and become Vice-Maintainer, I will
> continue to do my share of evil stress testing, and will do
> the next few official releases -- whenever we find
> we built something that is worth a release. No doubt.
>
> Micha is happy too with having you aboard,
> and confirmed that your plans make sense.
>
> Oh, having one 'Micha' and one 'Micah' on the team
> may become confusing, but I think I can manage this :-)
>
> Karl, is there any official ceremony for applying-to and
> handing-over maintainership?
> Or do you just need to say "Agreed. Done."?
>
>         thanks,
>                 Jw.

> GNU Screen holds a particular place in my heart. I'd volunteer for
> maintainership, but of course GNU Wget is already taking more than
> enough of my time. However, I'd be happy to pitch in with migrating the
> repo from CVS to a more modern VCS, such as git (I am very happy with
> Wget's own move to a distributed VCS, though we went with Mercurial for
> portability reasons that probably wouldn't apply so much for Screen),
> and could help with screening and applying patches. I've no time for
> serious development, but perhaps when you've found a real maintainer, I
> can volunteer as a sort of vice-maintainer, helping with the more
> boring, administrative aspects. ;) "tending to bug reports,
> consolidating patches", etc, is something I could help with; "care for
> regular releases" will have to be someone else's department, at least as
> far as actual leadership and ownership of the project is concerned.
>
> BTW, advertising the need for developer help on Savannah was very
> effective for Wget; I'd recommend it for Screen (though, the barrier to
> entry is possibly higher for Screen).

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer,
and GNU Wget Project Maintainer.
http://micah.cowan.name/