screen-devel

[screen-devel] Re: Scripting Support for Screen

From: Mark Eichin
Subject: [screen-devel] Re: Scripting Support for Screen
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:24:26 -0400

> - The goal right now is to allow executing some user-defined function
>   on specific events, e.g. when a window is closed, opened,
>   title/position changed, a display is detached etc. etc. easily, i.e.
>   without requiring a recompilation/reinstallation.

Oooh.  One app that I've always wanted to do (but haven't had time to
figure out how to use the 'hardcopy' to screenscrape for) is  "send me
a message any time any of these 8 screen sessions is stopped at a
Password prompt".  (This isn't about filling it in - if they ever
prompt, it's a bug, and someone needs to investigate...)  Assuming the
plugin can access enough outside things, that'd be useful.

Though I guess it can get all the "outside" it wants by firing up
another screen and stuffing commands into it :-)  (Sort of like the
emacs approach, you associate an external process, like "telnet", with
a buffer, and stuff strings at it and regexp-parse the responses...)