screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] alias support for GNU Screen

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] alias support for GNU Screen
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 23:20:58 +0100

On Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 19:42:34 -0400, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:

> I haven't had a chance to try out the patch yet. I suspect some minor
> additions might be necessary to show the defined aliases with the
> command input's tab-completion.

  Indeed.  I've broken things up a little so that TAB-completion works.

  I did have some changes to RC_BIND to allow you to run:

    bind x alias_name

  Unfortunately that eventually causes problems, because SaveAction
 keeps pointers to my linked-list which get juggled around when aliases
 are added or removed.

  For the moment I've reverted that, which means I have to use this
 form:

    alias www screen -F -t www links
    bind W eval www

  That's not ideal, but I can live with it if I must.

  I suspect a similar issue is going to bite me if I allow aliases to
 be defined which point to other aliases.  This should be fine:

    alias blah echo  -> Allowed currently
    alias foo  blah  -> Not currently allowed, not hard to add.

   But anything that has pointers to saved arguments will be difficult.

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration
http://www.debian-administration.org/