screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] bug using 'screen -X' and feature request

From: Guyzmo
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] bug using 'screen -X' and feature request
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:29:54 +0100

hi again,

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 17:01 +0100, Guyzmo wrote:
[...]
> 1/ run
> "screen -X 'screen -t %s %s'" % (title, command)
> 2/ run
> "screen -X 'screen -X 'exec ::: python %s %s '" % (script_path,dbus_id)
[...]
> So here am I with a feature request: how hard would it be to either :
> - find a way to return the created window number when command 1/ is
> executed (either using the environment, or sending it to stdout)
> - execute a sequence of commands like this one :
>     "screen -X 'screen -t %s %s ; exec ::: python %s %s' % (title,
>                                         command, script_path, dbus_id)
> so the exec command is sent to the newly created window.
[...]

well, as usual murphy's law striked again:
just after sending this mail, I got *the* answer on IRC : 'use eval.'

then, a patch that is not "absolutely necessary" but that would be
really nice to have is to get '-X' outputs to stdout instead of screen's
status line. (like doing -X 'windows' and get the window list..)
It could lead to interesting things... (though having a scripting
language and be able to write a real RPC for screen would be d4
solution ;)

thanks and sorry for this mail, if people are interested in what I've
coded so far, don't hesitate to contact me,

--
Guyzmo