screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Patch for displaying inet address in hardstatus

From: Berry Octave
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Patch for displaying inet address in hardstatus
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 14:26:08 +0200

Le Sunday 12 July 2009 13:56:08 Steve Kemp, vous avez écrit :
> On Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 11:27:13 +0200, Berry Octave wrote:
> > It prints on it something like "lo:127.0.0.1 eth0:10.0.2.2
> > wlan0:192.168.5.22" (supposing that eth0 and wlan0 are active).
>
>   Looks cute, and I'd be tempted to merge into tscreen.
>
>   But the obvious question is:  How is this better than using
>  the backtick primitive?
>
>   e.g:
>
>     backtick 1 5 5 /path/to/script
>     hardstatus alwayslastline "%1`"
>
>   Then having /path/to/script echo the data you wish to display.
>
> Steve
> --
> http://www.steve.org.uk/

The fact was that I found easier to add that feature directly in C than
parsing ifconfig output using a script (I actually didn't found an easy way
to get such information using another way).

The other aspect is that this allow to ease such a configuration using a
simple hardstatus "%I", which is easier than rewriting a complete script to
do the same thing.

Berry Octave