screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] need help with resize -p and -l

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] need help with resize -p and -l
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:22:51 -0500

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 05:54:05PM EST, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> * address@hidden had this to say on [10 Dec 2009, 15:50:29 -0700]:
> >

> > I'm working on rewriting the description of the resize command in the
> > manual. I have all of the behavior figured out except for the -p and -l
> > switches. I see that they're different from -h and -v in that they seem
> > to take split ordering into consideration. H stands for horizontal, v is
> > for vertical, but what does p and l stand for? Primary? Parent? Previous?
> > TIA
>
> -p stands for 'perpendicular', it seems. So if the current region is in a
> vertical split, it will [try to] resize the height, where by default, for
> a vertial split it will resize the width.
>
> -l stands for current 'layer', if you will, or the top-most split the
> current region is part of. [ask away if you need more clarification!]
>
> By the way, in case you haven't noticed, I added a 'dump' subcommand to
> layout. So you can create complex split grids and save them in a screenrc
> so you don't have to continually use the commands to restore the layout.
> (And also, perhaps you can update the doc for that? :-) )

There seem to be other 'hidden' resize options:

^A resize +
^A resize _

And how about:

^A resize \

I haven't tried other possibilities but I was wondering is a way to make
two vertical regions equal, i.e. the converse of:

^A resize =

As an aside, it would be nice if the delimiter between two vertical
regions was the same width as the the one between two horizontal
regions.

Instead, I have a rather wide band that is almost one character cell
wide as compared with the couple of pixels used to delimit two
horizontal regions.

Thanks,

CJ