screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #42142] screen <command> with STY set to outside scr

From: Luke Dashjr
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #42142] screen <command> with STY set to outside screen session does not behave as expected
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:50:04 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: None
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Details:

I run my X session in screen, so that I can later attach to it inside the X
session itself. However, this sets the STY environment variable, so when I go
to use screen inside a terminal, it just quietly exits (or opens a new window
in my X screen?), with no indication in my terminal what actually happened.

Expected behaviour is that it realises it's not inside the X screen, and
behaves the same way as if STY was not set: create a new screen session with
the application.

Also, I observed that inside a screen session, if you change users (eg, with
su or sudo) and STY remains set, screen fails with an error:
    /root/.screen/3192.X: No such file or directory

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42142>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/