screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #43224] Patches for installation

From: Maarten ter Huurne
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #43224] Patches for installation
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 02:30:02 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 4.2.1
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Details:

Attached patches 0006 and 0008 make the life of a packager a bit easier, by
making Screen act more like typical packages: no backups made on install and
an option to override binary versioning.

Patch 0007 will attempt chmod even if chown fails. When packaging, it is
typical to install as a non-root user using DESTDIR. What I am unsure of
though is whether having a setuid Screen binary by default is actually a good
idea. But that is what the installer does when run as root, so I guess it
makes sense to make non-root installs as similar as possible. An alternative
would be to skip the setuid as part of "make install" and instead instruct the
user/packager to change permissions if their use of Screen requires it.

Patch 0009 fixes an issue with parallel builds (make -j2), so I would
recommend to apply at least that one.

File Attachments:

Date: Mon 15 Sep 2014 02:29:59 AM GMT  Name:
0006-Do-not-create-backup-of-old-installed-binary.patch  Size: 2kB   By:
maartenth
git formatted patches
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=32101>
Date: Mon 15 Sep 2014 02:29:59 AM GMT  Name:
0008-Support-overriding-SCREEN-to-get-a-non-versioned-bin.patch  Size: 1kB
By: maartenth
git formatted patches
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=32102>
Date: Mon 15 Sep 2014 02:29:59 AM GMT  Name:
0007-Change-binary-permission-flags-even-if-chown-fails.patch  Size: 1kB   By:
maartenth
git formatted patches
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=32103>
Date: Mon 15 Sep 2014 02:29:59 AM GMT  Name:
0009-Ensure-that-installation-dirs-exist-before-copying-f.patch  Size: 2kB
By: maartenth
git formatted patches
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=32104>

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?43224>