screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Trying to build screen

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Trying to build screen
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 16:55:48 -0700

prashant Nidgunde wrote:
> I downloaded screen code from below  (as per website):
> git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/screen.git
> However, there is no configure script at this location.
> configure is missing in this screen/src folder.

Please read the ./src/INSTALL file for detailed instructions on how to
build the software from the development sources.  It will require the
developer tools to be installed in order to compile and build the
program.

> So, my question is this repository the right place to download the code ?

If you want the development sources as a developer then yes.  If you
are wanting the latest stable release to compile and use then no.  The
latest release was announced here in this message:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2017-01/msg00007.html

It includes this pointer to the latest release.

  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/screen/screen-4.5.0.tar.gz

Perhaps that is what you are really wanting?

> If not, does website need a change to mention that source can be downloaded
> as tar files using Downloads link ?

There are two main project pages for GNU screen.

  https://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

  https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/screen/

The first is more comprehensive and includes pointers to both.  The
second is the software source forge code site and is specific to the
code development.  It's all about the source code there.

You have checked out the development source.  That requires the
development build tools to be present as you will need to build the
configure script first.  The ./src/INSTALL gives details on that
process.  The configure script is a downstream item that is built by
the developer.  If you were downloading the release bundle that has
been prepared for people to build such as
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/screen/screen-4.5.0.tar.gz then it would
already contain the configure script.

Hope that helps!
Bob