screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] GNU screen on Debian 9.0 runs with root account only

From: Amadeusz Sławiński
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] GNU screen on Debian 9.0 runs with root account only
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 12:26:13 +0200

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 11:33:38 +0200
Axel Beckert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Amadeusz,
>
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 11:08:31AM +0200, Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 10:43:55 +0200
> > Oscar Barreca <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > GNU screen returns immediately after being started, without reporting
> > > errors
> > > <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=869551> is the page at
> > > which the report is located. Sorry I did not link it before.
> [...[
> > your username seems to be "none", and from what I recall is is treated
> > specially by acl in screen,
>
> Thanks a lot for that hint. That's it. I created a user "none" and
> screen indeed doesn't work for that user -- and only for that user.
>
> > can you try adding another account or
> > changing username and check if it works under it?
>
> As expected it (of course) works well for all other users.
>
>               Kind regards, Axel

I guess we can, maybe try to replace it with "-none", as it shouldn't be
used as username anyway, because it starts with hyphen. (per POSIX)

It seems to be used as option in "aclgrp" and "password" commands and I
guess it may make more sense to start such command switch with hyphen.

Do you have time to make a patch?

Cheers,
Amadeusz Sławiński