screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #53313] odd backslash escape parsing of the echo com

From: Soliton
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #53313] odd backslash escape parsing of the echo command
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 17:51:29 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 4.5.0
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Details:

screen -X echo '\' produces an error instead of printing \.

: Missing " quote.

According to amade it's the same with the newest version.

One could argue that a single unescaped backslash is not valid but then I
think at least the error message should be improved.

I suggest to do it similar to printf though which just prints the \ in this
case.

It seems to me that the backslash escape and quote handling could be improved
in general.

screen -X echo '\"\"\r\n\t' does not seem to do much useful. Perhaps it'd be
better to not interprete backslash escapes or quotes at all.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53313>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/