screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Problems in screen.1

From: Marcin Cieslak
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Problems in screen.1
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 21:00:28 +0000

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018, Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 07:35:33 -0400
> "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Amadeusz Sławiński <address@hidden>:

> > > There is a lot of \[u2026] in page, as I understand it was supposed to
> > > define substitution for it.
> >
> > Odd that cat -v didn't show it.  I would have expected a lot of "...".
> >
> > The obvious thing to do is just carry out that replacement.
>
> Actually I think the problem is that it doesn't work with some (non
> UTF-8) encodings that do not have '…'. So it provides fallback in form
> of '...', but I guess we can replace it in whole document with 3 dots.
> Unless you know of some other way?
>
> for example:
> LC_ALL=en_US.iso88591 man doc/screen.1
> replaces all … with ...
> but with en_US.UTF-8 it shows …

This was my goal when I proposed this change. I didn't know it was
groff specific, I have tested it with groff as well as with
heirloom doctools and it worked fine. I am perfectly happy with
three ASCII dots instead.

I am also testing all changes with a PostScript output.
There are still improvements needed, like getting all those .nf
and otherwise "formatted" parts straightened out.
I don't like indented .nf's in examples.

Marcin