screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #54458] Session name length causes problem to "reope

From: anonymous
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #54458] Session name length causes problem to "reopen fifo"
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:03:43 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 4.6.2
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Details:

Hi all,

I have been using screen from earlier than 4.3.1 versions, and with the new
kubuntu 18.04 LTS a newer version 4.6.2 is available.

However, I noticed the difference from version 4.3.1 (from kubuntu 16.04LTS)
to this one. The problem I found on this newer version is that longer session
names cause dead screens and it shows the message "reopen fifo
/run/screen/S-pc/9973.[session name with 81chars]: No such file or directory".
Additionally, the pid number also influences this behavior, since its length
seems to be also accounted for the total length.

So, I tested in version 4.3.1 with plenty more characters without any
problem.

Hence, I have to ask, is this a bug? For my needs it would be beneficial to
handle longer names as in earlier 4.3.1 version.

If otherwise, this maximum session name length is from now on mandatory, an
error should alert the user for this case.

Just to let you know.
Thanks for your attention.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54458>

  Message sent via Savannah