screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] [bug #23952] Screen can't set stop/parity bits on ser

From: david kerns
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] [bug #23952] Screen can't set stop/parity bits on serial
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 20:46:08 -0700

and here's the man/texinfo patch

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 12:59 PM david kerns <david.t.kerns@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's a quick and dirty patch for 4.8.0 ... I didn't investigate if the BSD side allows those settings (it's BSD, screw'em)

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 7:54 AM Marc Haber <INVALID.NOREPLY@gnu.org> wrote:
Follow-up Comment #1, bug #23952 (project screen):

This has been lying around in the bug tracker for 13 years now. I'd like to
elaborate a bit on this:

The cereal program (https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/cereal) uses screen as a
terminal emulator to access serial devices such as routers, switches etc.
cereal's unique usage of screens allow device output to be captured
unattendedly, so that you can see the device's last output when attaching to
the session. This is a huge help when debugging on devices that usually run
unattended for months and then suddenly need attention.

Unfortunately, screen's handling of serial ports is somewhat incomplete: You
can set the baud rate and the word length (cs7), but not the number of stop
bits and/or the parity settings.

Since the OS calls are readily available, adding this to a future version of
screen would proably be easy enough to do inside tty.sh. Sadly, my C skills
lack to handle this code which is liberally sprinkled with portability
#ifdefs, so I cannot submit a patch.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?23952>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/