Re: Hi

From: Sami Samhuri
Subject: Re: Hi
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 19:21:43 -0700

* It was Thu, May 27, 2004 at 10:06:00PM +0200 when Juergen Weigert said:
> On May 27, 04 09:52:55 -0700, Sami Samhuri wrote:
> > Just in case anyone came across this... When you use screen it sets
> > TERM to screen.linux. On my Gentoo installation TERM is just "linux" on
> > the virtual consoles. If I run screen in another screen I get 8 crummy
> > colours instead of 16, so I do ``TERM=linux screen'' and it's all good
> > again.
>
> screen is supposed to set its internal terminal type to 'screen'.
> It is supposed to translate escape-sequences from this internal
> representation to the terminal type of the real terminal it is running in
> ('linux' in our case').

This explains a few things for me. Thanks.

> I don't know what 'TERM=screen.linux' is. Probably a Gentoo
> hack then.  (Any Gentoo-maintainers out there?)

This could be a gentoo hack I guess. I don't see anything regarding this
in /etc/screenrc though. I may ask on gentoo-user or check out the
screen package to see if it's mentioned anywhere.

(Using TERM=screen also causes nested screens to be 8 colour as well. At
least, this is so on my PC. I guess if many of you are usually in X this
is irrelevant anyways.)

--
Sami Samhuri