dialog(1) lines mangled under gnome term with screen

From: Po Petz
Subject: dialog(1) lines mangled under gnome term with screen
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:32:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Under gnome term and screen (3.09.13 on Redhat 9) the fancy lines from
dialog(1) are not being rendered as lines but non-representational ascii
characters.  I suspect that they are part of the various escape codes to
describe lines.

An example of the problem: http://www.ciphermonkeys.org/~po/screen/

My .screenrc has only one line:
hardstatus alwayslastline "%-w%{.wB}%n %t%{-}%+w %=%{.w} %H: %l %{-}%d/%m
%c"

It works fine under gnome-term but not gnome-term + screen.
Interestingly, dialog renders correctly under xterm + screen and rvxt +
screen.  I think that suggests it's an interaction problem between
gnome-term and screen, but what is the remedy?

-po