Re: Starting screen detached with noncanonical mode input processing

From: Michael Schroeder
Subject: Re: Starting screen detached with noncanonical mode input processing
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:59:40 +0200

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 05:58:02PM +0800, Leland Wang wrote:
> a.out and screen terminate immediately because a.out gets EOF when
> getchar().

That's because you don't set VMIN and VTIME. Please add

    t.c_cc[VMIN] = 1;
    t.c_cc[VTIME] = 0;

> I need to start screen detached and use noncanonical mode
> because tip(1) uses noncanonical mode. I need to monitor a number of
> serial consoles as soon as my server boots. Do anyone have any idea
> how to remedy this problem?

Why use tip at all? Screen handles serial lines quite well, i.e.

    screen -d -m /dev/ttyS0

You can also specify the baud rate and other settings after the tty
parameter, check out the man page for more details.

Cheers,
  Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder           address@hidden