Starting screen non-interactively at system startup

From: John Davidorff Pell
Subject: Starting screen non-interactively at system startup
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:22:03 -0700

Hi all,

I posted last month [1] but received no response, so I'm posting again.

Programs inside a screen window inherit different environments depending on whether or not they were started inside screenrc or interactively. In particular, the TERMCAP variable is different, resulting in different (undesirable) behaviour in some applications (emacs).

I have dumped the environment before starting screen (in a script that does NOT inherit an interactive environment), from screenrc (still not within an interactive environment), and from a new window created after re-attaching interactively.

As near as I can tell, screen is changing the TERMCAP environment variable based on either 1) screenrc being complete or not, or 2) the TERM setting upon re-attach. As I understand screen, the idea is that screen exports a consistent environment to its children, and then translates to whichever terminal type is currently attached to it, so I believe this behaviour to be a bug.

Is there a work around? How can I fix this? Feedback is most appreciated!

JP

--
"To me consensus seems to be: the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects." -- Margaret Thatcher