Re: screen as a login shell -- problems with scp

From: Joe Zbiciak
Subject: Re: screen as a login shell -- problems with scp
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:08:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hmmmm... I know rcp works by issuing commands to the
remote shell.  (That's why it can get confused by output in
your login scripts.)

Could it be that scp also invokes your login shell to
do its bidding, and so having screen as your login shell
is a Bad Idea?

Seems like it'd be a Bad Idea for other reasons, too, such
as when you try to shell out of an app such as 'vi'.
A much better idea would be to add, at the end of your
.login (or equivalent) a test for an interactive session,
and then "exec screen".  That way, only login shells
that are interactive sessions auto-invoke screen.

--Joe