Re: Reply to header

From: Buddy Burden
Subject: Re: Reply to header
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:50:25 -0500

Guys,

Well, this seems to be quite the religious war. Having to wade through the double copies of many of these replies (even 3 of one, for some odd reason) I think aptly answers Eric's point. As for Shawn's point--the elitist argument (a.k.a. "if everyone in the world would just switch to the software I use, there wouldn't be any problem")--I'm not sure I see the issue even if I were to grant the validity of that argument: doesn't Mutt (or whichever other greatest MUA in the world we're discussing here) allow you to easily bypass the reply-to header? I know pine does, and it's certainly not a very flashy MUA.

Most telling, I can't even respond to Henrik's point because he made it in a reply that he didn't cc to the list (and, yes, I realize that he did so intentionally, to make a point). That is, I _could_, but I would consider it rude to copy in his text when it was ostensibly "private", and there wouldn't be much point in responding to the group when no one else knew what he'd said. And there's _definitely_ no point in Henrik and I carrying on some sort of private debate when the point of the thread (I believe) is to determine whether or not this is a worthwhile thing to do. Perhaps it's just because I was raised on CompuServe and not Usenet, but I have never seen much point in private messages except in _extremely_ unusual circumstances (I believe I have sent private replies twice, amongst CIS, Usenet, mailing lists, and web fora, in about 12 years online).

But I'm sensing that we may have come to the point in the discussion where no one is actually going to be convinced of anything and we're just going to go on bashing at each other until some admin comes along and yells at us. _If_ we're voting, which I realize we may not even be, then I think I'll vote in favor of reply-to headers. If not, I suppose I'll drop back to lurk mode. :-)

Take care all.

                -- Buddy