Screen + Expect

From: Jonathan Martin
Subject: Screen + Expect
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:40:01 -0500

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has ever considered an integration of libexpect with screen (optional, of course), to control terminal sessions, or even screen itself? i can see this being useful to do simple macro-type operations, like hit enter every 5 minutes to keep an ssh session open, or send an alert when certain output appears in a screen that's not currently being viewed.

Although I have hacked a few lines here and there in the screen code, I am no way knowledgeable enough about either code bases to know how they could would fit together, what type of glue code would be necessary, or even if it could work. But I was wondering if this has ever come up before, or in general what people thought of the idea.

Thanks!
-Jon

BTW, to the programmers, maintainers, and all the people who've contributed to screen, thanks. It's the single most useful program I've ever used. The main screen process I re-attach to currently has been running since Jul 14. :)