Re: screen refusing to reattach

From: Phil!Gregory
Subject: Re: screen refusing to reattach
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:45:18 -0500

* Eric Smith <address@hidden> [2005-03-25 15:23 +0100]:
> Ok, this has caused me enough inconvenience so I will finally ask about
> it.  Every now and then screen freezes and if I try to reattach the
> seassion elsewhere, the command `screen -x' just hangs.
>
> Sometimes killing off the child processes seems to work, other times
> not.  Usually after many hours the screen of its own accord becomes
> re-attachable.

This sounds similar to a problem that I've run into.

When I've had a problem with screen along these lines, it's been waiting
for blocked I/O, usually from an ssh session dying, but the system not
having noticed (so it keeps sending data, but never gets a response).  As
various send buffers start filling up, first the window that was active in
that ssh session and then the entire screen session goes unresponsive.  If
I wait long enough, the ssh session times out, and all of the blocking I/O
returns, restoring the screen session to usability.

I'm not sure what advice to give, though.  I've tried setting 'nonblock
on' in my .screenrc, as the man page seemed to imply that it might help,
but it hasn't.  It's possible that it might work better for you.

--- --
Satellite Safety Tip #14:
  If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.