Re: screen refusing to reattach

From: Buddy Burden
Subject: Re: screen refusing to reattach
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:29:29 -0500

Guys,

This happens to me sometimes as well and I find it just as annoying as everyone else. It used to be pretty rare, but seems to be happening more often lately, for whatever reason. Neither screen -d nor screen -D nor screen -DD seems to do anything (other than hang). Can't speak to whether it eventually unknots itself, as I've never had that much patience. <g>

Jeremy,

The solution is to kill off the shell process which had previously
run (and in some cases, still is running) screen -x or screen -r.

You mean not just killing off the screen -x process itself, but finding the parent shell and killing that instead (or in addition)? I haven't tried that yet, but I definitely will next time.

Abram,

Can you do me a favor and apply the patches found at:

I'll try to do that this weekend. The thread mentions another patch of yours ... is that combined into this patch?

The main problem of course, is trying to reproduce the problem ... unlike the OP in your thread, I've never had a problem recovering from ctrl-s. I haven't been able to pin down an exact thing that causes it, but I'm pretty sure it happens even when my fingers aren't anywhere near the ctrl key.

                -- Buddy