is there a keepalive/retry/restart feature?

From: Mordechai T. Abzug
Subject: is there a keepalive/retry/restart feature?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:26:44 -0500

Say I have the following in my .screenrc:

screen -t mutt mutt

If I accidentally exit my mutt process, I need to go through several
steps to recreate the window, rename it, and create a new mutt
process.

One fix is to do something like this:

screen -t mutt sh -c "while true; do mutt; sleep 1; done"

But I don't much like that.  For example, if the command is "ssh host"
and host isn't defined, the command might fail many, many times before
I noticed.  I would want some kind of exponential backoff, respawn
limits, and the like.

Is there a better solution?  Preferably a flag to the screen command
that automatically respawns the command if it exits, with configurable
backoff behaviour.

Thanks!

- Morty