RE: screen refusing to reattach

From: Joakim Ahlén
Subject: RE: screen refusing to reattach
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:46:00 +0200

Hi,

> On Apr 15, 05 10:11:13 +0200, Joakim Ahlén wrote:
> > However, i do have a foolproof way of getting back control of the
> > screen. It may sound really obscure - but it works EVERY time.
> >
> > * Run screen -d -r, which hangs. Leave it hanging.
> > * Start up another SSH session, and su to root
> > * Find the PID of the SCREEN-process (with capitals), and
> run "strace
> > -p [pid of SCREEN] 2>/dev/null"
>
> what would strace print when not redirecting to /dev/null?
> I could imagine it hangs in a write() or read(), right?

No, the strace doesn't hang. Directly when starting strace, the hanged
"screen -d -r" gets unlocked and works fine. This makes strace print what
usually is printed if you strace a normal screen-process. Lots of system
calls.

Of course, the pipe to /dev/null is not needed for this hack to work, it
just makes your terminal quiet.

//j