Re: Reestablishing ssh connections via screen

From: Phil!Gregory
Subject: Re: Reestablishing ssh connections via screen
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:21:45 -0400

* JCA <address@hidden> [2005-06-21 14:06 -0700]:
> How can screen be used so that, when the notebook is brought back from
> its dormant state, whatever ssh sessions it had active with the server,
> at the time the notebook was put to sleep, are automatically
> re-established?

In your shell, do:

$ while true; do ssh otherhost; done

It sounds like that's basically what you want.  As soon as an ssh command
exits, run it again to reestablish the connection.  screen doesn't really
have anything to automatically start commands once they've exited[0].  The
closes you could get with screen would be to turn on zombie control and
run your ssh commands in separate screen windows.  You would still have to
restart them manually, but it would only take a single keystroke per
command.

[0] Though it might be nice for 'backtick <id> 0 0 <command>' to restart
    the command if it exits.

--- --
If there's nothing wrong with me, there must be something wrong with the
universe.
                       -- Beverly Crusher ("Star Trek")