Re: Setting an escape character on the command line'

From: Will Maier
Subject: Re: Setting an escape character on the command line'
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 06:52:54 -0500

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:15:07AM +0200, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> You probably have
>
>     bind ^\
>     bind \\
>
> somewhere in your (or the system's) screenrc file. Our example
> file contains this line because the default binding of the keys
> was to quit screen and so many users complained about killing
> their precious session by mistake.

Quite right; for some reason I thought that screen didn't read the $SYSSCREENRC
if one was found in the user's home directory. Binding ^\ to 'other' solved my
problem.

Why, though, does assigning the same escape from within screen cause the
expected
behavior (ie overrule bindings specified in *screenrc)? If the (only) problem
were the 'bind' clauses that I found in my $SYSSCREENRC, I would expect the
effect from both within and without screen to be the same.

Thanks for your help!

Will Maier