Re: Can a program create a new window ?

From: Phil!Gregory
Subject: Re: Can a program create a new window ?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:25:30 -0500

* Nicolas Vigier <address@hidden> [2005-11-07 19:06 +0100]:
> Is there a way that a program running in a screen can create a new
> window, and display something inside ? I think that would be a useful
> feature.

The brief answer to your question is yes, there's a way.  I've seen epic
(IRC program) do exactly this--open multiple screen windows for a single
epic process.  What I don't know is how it was done.  I suspect it would
mean messing with screen at a moderately low level.  epic's behavior with
this was always a bit buggy, but the docs said that all multiwindow stuff
was buggy; it might not have had anything to do with the screen
interface.

--- --
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in
practice...