Re: Showing /dev/tty12 (or similar) syslog output in screen window

From: Joe Zbiciak
Subject: Re: Showing /dev/tty12 (or similar) syslog output in screen window
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:23:42 -0700 (PDT)

Nikolai Weibull <address@hidden> wrote:
> I don't want to go through sudo just to read system messages.  (Of
> course, how much sensitive data can one really find in
> /var/log/messages, so perhaps I can just set it to 0640?)

Passwords?

Seriously, if someone mistakenly types their password at the login prompt, it'll show up in /var/log/messages.  Granted that's more likely to be a problem for telnet connections than ssh connections, so if you're not allowing telnet connections then maybe you're ok.

--Joe

--
We sell Spatulas, and that's all!
http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/