Re: protecting against WiFi loss

From: bmathis-screen
Subject: Re: protecting against WiFi loss
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 00:43:50 -0400

The connections you are trying to preserve are handled by ssh, and have nothing to do with screen. They require a constant connection, and AFAIK cannot be put into suspended animation as you describe because they require constant communication between the server and your laptop. When the laptop goes to sleep, this communication is broken, and the connection is dropped. That's the way it's supposed to work.

There may be tools that allow you to approximate this functionality, like NX or autossh, though I don't really know anything about them, just something to take a look at. Maybe if you give a more detailed description about what you're trying to do someone can provide some more help.

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
I have a laptop which wants to power down on a regular basis and as a result, the WiFi network connection goes away. originally I was thinking about using screen to protect my connections but what screen doesn't do is protect my forwarded connections (IMAP, X11, etc.) I also need to solve the problem of resizing the terminal emulator windows, completely transparent pipe to the other end (i.e. no special characters intercepted), and probably a few other things I can't think of right now.

I think it is best summed up as I am trying to preserve state about a connection and the application running on the connection with the end goal of restoring that state should the connection be broken.

am I better off sticking with screen and ignoring X% of its features or starting over again?

many thanks

--- eric