Re: lockscreen and display hostname

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Re: lockscreen and display hostname
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:05:42 +0200

On Jul 07, 06 11:46:55 -0400, Tod Detre wrote:

> Is there any way to get the lockscreen command to display the hostname
> of the machine? I'd prefer if it could be in the titlebar of the
> terminal, but anywhere would be nice.

The builtin lockscreen command cannot be configured. The only way to
customize the locing feature is to point the environment variable LOCKPRG to
an external locking program, which can be tailored to your needs.

> I know you can have screen use an external locking program, but I use
> screen on many machines I don't have permission to install programs on.
> Is there a standard terminal locking program that is found on most Linux
> distributions by default?

Maybe you can install one in your home directory. Some lock programs may
want to have a root-s-bit or other privileges to access the password
database. You should find one that works without such privileges.

Please also note, that the screenlock  feature is most effective, if screen
has also a password set that prevents reattach from a different terminal.

cheers,
        Jw.

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert      unix-software __/ _=======.=======_