attaching new process to existing screen

From: Ed Peschko
Subject: attaching new process to existing screen
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 04:01:52 -0000

hey all,

I had a question about new processes and screen - is it possible to start a
process
in another window/session and have it show up in the windowlist of an existing
screen?

Ie: I know that you can do something like:

        screen -d -m gdb

and have gdb pop up in an entirely new screen. What I want is the ability to
say

        screen -d -m gdb -x <screen session>

and have screen attach the gdb process to the existing screen session.

Now, I see a '-X' function, but I don't think that this is quite what I need.
for
one, it says 'unknown command' gdb... In fact I can't seem to get -X to do much
of
anything.

Anyways, does something like this exist, and if so how do you do it?

Thanks,

Ed

(ps - is screen development dead? I'm hoping not, it truly is a lifechanging
program..)