Screen "view-only" client mode

From: Thomas Perl
Subject: Screen "view-only" client mode
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 09:27:54 -0000

Hello!

I've looked through the man page of screen, searched the web and Google
Groups to search for a similar function I need, but haven't found
anything related to this, so I'm now posting this to the screen-users
list to ask if this is possible with screen with the current version.

I'm using Screen version 4.00.02 (FAU) 5-Dec-03.

What I want to do is run a program in screen (for example: vim) and do
work in this screen session. I then want to be able to "share" my screen
session so that I keep attached to my screen, but someone else can
attach to it in "view-only" mode. This would be good for demonstration
purposes or text-mode programs.

What I basically want is the equivalent of a "view-only vnc server that
exports the current X display" for text mode (althought not with
networking, but simple accessing it from the shell should be enought).

Is this already possible with screen (or by other means) or would this
be a nice feature to have?

Thanks,
Thomas

PS: Please CC to my e-mail adress, as I'm currently not subscribed to the list.