Re: how to start screen from .bashrc

From: Michael Parson
Subject: Re: how to start screen from .bashrc
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:34:39 -0500

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 05:27:51PM +0200, Xavier Nicollet wrote:
> Le 19 septembre 2006 ? 09:59, Peter a ?crit:
>> I want to have screen launched when I log in to a Linux system with
>> SSH.  I have put the screen command inside ~/.bashrc.  The result is
>> that screen will reread .bashrc and sets up a loop which keeps starting
>> screen over and over.  My .screenrc file automatically starts 3
>> windows.  How do I prevent this loop?
>
> I read somewhere that it is not advised to do that.

One of the features of screen is that you can disconnect from screen
and log out, log back in later and reconnect to the existing session.
Having it auto-start a new screen every time you log in could make that
difficult.

If you want to start screen faster than having to type out 'screen' (or
'screen -r') after you log in, then learn to use the history features of
the bash shell.

When I log in, I hit ^R, then start typing screen, I usually don't have
to get farther than about sc before it has found the match and I just
hit return and I'm off.

--
Michael Parson
address@hidden