Re: terminal devices left open after logging out

From: Julien Jehannet
Subject: Re: terminal devices left open after logging out
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:24:06 -0000

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:36:36 +0900
From: Henry Nelson <address@hidden>
Subject: terminal devices left open after logging out
To: address@hidden

I'm not sure of the terminology so the Subject and description of the
problem may not be accurate.  What happens is that _sometimes_ when I
login, by ssh, a terminal device grabbed by some previous screen session
is still there.  So if I run `who` I see the device, but no one is
logged into it, and no screen sockets are open.  There doesn't seem to be
any way to close the device other than rebooting the machine.

% who
henry ttyp0    Oct  4 09:17  (192.168.11.24)
henry ttyp3    Oct  1 07:21  (:ttyp0:S.0)
% screen -list
No Sockets found in /home/henry/.screen.

How can I prevent this from happening, and/or can I somehow clean up
unused terminal devices (ttyp?) that are open without rebooting?  TIA.

Hello Henry,

I think is more related to SSH than screen. You can try to send HUP signals to your weird processes. If it works, see this FAQ entry for more details:

             http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#3.10

Cordially,

Julien Jehannet