Re: I'm confused about TERMCAP

From: Michael Parson
Subject: Re: I'm confused about TERMCAP
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:01:08 -0500

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:43:49AM -0400, Andy Harrison wrote:
> On 3/11/07, Joe Zbiciak <address@hidden>wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I might be stepping out of line here, but...  The solution is to nuke
>> TERMCAP when it's a TERMCAP from screen?
>>
>> Why does this feel wrong?
>>

> It's the only way I can correct all the various instances of bad behavior
> caused by running screen.  For example, (the most infuriating for me) when I
> run vi, I can't use the colon key.  When I press it, it's as if I pressed j
> to move the cursor down.  Since I use vi constantly, this is unacceptable.
> In my .vimrc I can literally 'bind : :' to fix that particular behavior, but
> I use vi(m) on too many different systems to hassle with this.
>
> I always assumed it was some inherent unfriendliness between screen and
> tcsh, since that's the most consistent presence in my environment.  The
> strange behavior also changes depending on which term app I'm using (aterm,
> xterm, eterm, konsole, etc...).  Changing my TERM variable to other values
> didn't help adequately.  I never bothered to research it further once I
> figured out that scrapping the termcap cured everything.

TERM and TERMCAP are related, if your TERM is detected correctly at
login time, you TERMCAP should be set properly too.  If you don't have
the 'screen' termcap/info stuff installed on all the systems you might
be logging into, starting screen with the -Tvt220 (or xterm, or whatever
your preference) will do the right thing (I use bash, so adjust if you
use a csh variant):

$ type -a screen
screen is aliased to `screen -T vt220'
screen is /usr/local/bin/screen