Re: Colour remnants from previous program

From: cga2000
Subject: Re: Colour remnants from previous program
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 09:52:28 -0400

On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 12:16:09PM EDT, Joe Zbiciak wrote:
> [...]

Yes, but then the OP would likely argue that since it only occurs when
screen is running .. the problem is not with the emulator.

>    The leftover pixels are parts of the character background color for
>    the status lines in Mutt.
>
>    I imagine you can modulate the effect by telling Mutt different
>    things about the terminal, such as whether the terminal fills w/
>    the background color when erasing (bce).

I thought that the only way you could tell mutt about your terminal's
capabilities was via your termcap/terminfo entry.  But that's just
because I don't remember seeing anything in the .muttrc commands that
looked like it would let you override/extend what's specified via
whatever entry is pointed to by $TERM.  Could very well be that there is
such a command .. and I missed it because I never looked for it .. Or
there could be some new stuff in versions more recent than what I'm
running .. possibly to address issues relative to character width.

>    But that won't change the fundamental issue that some operations
>    have the terminal draw in the right 2-3 pixels and others don't.  I
>    don't see $TERM or $TERMCAP changing that.

I would definitely like to learn more about this. Why would the terminal
emulator try to address anything that's not a multiple of a cell in the
first place?  Wouldn't that be a capability of the terminal .. sub-cell
addressing .. and as such shouldn't there be some terminfo stuff to
describe it .. so that it can be handled transparently by applications
when running on different emulators.

Why does my 221 columns xterm have a screen status line that's perfectly
aligned with the left/right edges of my xterm window. If I subtract the
advertised width of the WindoMaker dock, I have 1400-64=1336 pixels and
that's clearly not a multiple of 221.

The more I think about this .. the more I wonder why I haven't run into
such problems as the OP describes myself :-)

Thanks,
cga